HbA1c Test at Home in Nigeria/ HbA1c Test for Diabetes in Nigeria/ Test for Diabetes control
You will provide
This test is for both
No extraordinary preparation needed
What is HbA1c test for Diabetes
The HbA1c test is a diagnostic test, also known as glycated haemoglobin test done to check your average level of blood sugar over 2 to 3 months. It’s an indicator if the diabetes is controlled well.
For a diabetes patient, it’s a good test to check whether diabetes level are within range. So, doctors suggest it to be done regularly.
HbA1c & Fasting plasma Glucose test or Fasting blood sugar (FBS) are done together for diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes patient.
For Type 1 diabetes, HbA1c may not be a primary test, but it’s used with other test for proper diagnosis.
Why do I need a HbA1c test for Diabetes
People with diabetes who reduced their HbA1c by less than 1% can cut their risk of dying within 5 years by 50% , according to Swedish research presented at the annual meeting of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes, Sept. 2012 (EASD). *source WebMD
· HbA1c can help diagnose Prediabetes – there is higher risk of cardiovascular problems and developing type 1 or 2 diabetes, if you have prediabetes
· HbA1c can help diagnose Type 1 & Type 2 diabetes – this along with other tests (like FBS) is required to confirm diagnosis of diabetes by doctors.
· HbA1c can help assess if the diabetes treatment plan for existing diabetes patients is going well. The test is done regularly to check the treatment plan
High levels of A1c shows poor sugar control and high risk of diabetes related complications.
What is a Normal range in Hemoglobin A1c Test
According to World Health Organisation (WHO)
- HbA1c below 6.0%: Non-diabetic
- HbA1c between 6.0–6.4%: Impaired glucose regulation (IGR) or Prediabetes, have a high change of getting diabetes
- HbA1c of 6.5% or over: Type 2 diabetes
If you have prediabetes your doctor may suggest appropriate lifestyle changes that help to reduce risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
If you have diabetes and your level is higher than the target, your doctor may change your treatment plan to get level down.
How often should I do HbA1c Test
Frequency of A1c test depends on person’s medical conditions, type of diabetes and treatment plan.
Patient may require frequent HbA1c test if there is change in diabetes treatment or any new medication is suggested by doctor.
Usually the test is recommended
· Prediabetes – once a year
· Diabetes patient whose blood sugar level is within target range but do not take insulin – twice a year
· Diabetes patient whose blood sugar level may sometimes become higher than target range or are taking insulin – four times a year
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on HbA1c Test
What is a good HbA1c score?
HbA1c score below 6% indicate non-diabetic
What does the HbA1c test indicate?
Glycated Haemoglobin A1c occurs when blood cells that carry oxygen bond with glucose in blood stream resulting in glycation.
The higher the number of glycated blood cells, the higher is the blood glucose level, which result in higher HbA1c level.
The life of average blood cell is 3 months, so HbA1c result reflect glucose levels of 2-3 months.
Is HbA1c a fasting test?
HbA1c is a simple diagnostic test that does not require fasting or any other special preparation and can be done at any time of the day.
Disclaimer: The information provided herein is for patient general knowledge only and should not be used during any medical emergency, for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Duplication for personal and commercial use must be authorized in writing by Surjen.com.