A Thigh Lift is a surgical procedure that targets to lift and tighten the loose, sagging folds of skin in and around the thigh area. It is designed to remove excess tissue to leave a firmer, smoother contour and is suitable for patients who have experienced severe or sudden weight loss where the tissue has been stretched and hangs down from the thighs.
Thigh Lifts are regularly combined with liposuction to remove any unwanted fat in the thigh region. The overall effect is to deliver a more sculpted, visually pleasing thigh, firmer to touch and with tightened, smooth overlying skin.
Loose, sagging skin in the thigh can be:
- Natural and a function of genetics
- Caused by weight loss (excess skin)
- Caused by ageing as the upper leg skin becomes loose and saggy.
Benefits of a Thigh Lift
- Firmer, leaner upper legs
- Redefined, slender figure
- Tightened upper leg skin and elasticity
- Restored thigh gap
- Ability to wear tighter cut clothes/swimwear
- Improved sense of emotional wellbeing
Why have a thigh lift?
As we age, the skin of our thighs loses its elasticity and starts to sag. This is particularly true for those who have experienced repeated periods of weight gain and weight loss, where the skin has been stretched multiple times, destroying the elasticity leaving it sagging and loose.
Stretched skin is unlikely to shrink back naturally and normally cannot be tightened with diet and exercise. This is a common misconception and surgical intervention may be the only way to give you your desired results.
This sagging of the skin can cause people to become self-conscious of their body, preventing them from feeling comfortable in many clothes especially swimwear and sportswear.
To achieve a tighter, leaner look to your legs, a thigh lift can be a very effective solution, so you can feel confident in your body once more.
How does a Thigh Lift procedure work?
A Thigh Lift makes use of two surgical procedures to contour the thigh region and reduce the amount of excess skin and fat on the thighs; skin excision and liposuction.
Skin Excision targets the loose skin that hangs down around the thighs. Incisions are made discretely. After removal of the excess skin and reshaping of the thigh area, the skin is carefully stitched back. The procedure involves both the removal of extra skin and the re-sculpting of the thigh area to produce the right body shape. The procedure can be limited to a single localized area of the thigh or can be extended to include the whole area. It is done under general anaesthetic and leaves scars hidden under the buttock fold or groin.
If required, Liposuction can also be used to remove excess fat and streamline the shape of the thighs. Your doctor's decision on whether to perform liposuction, and if so in what areas, will depend on the amount of excess skin, the amount of excess fat, the level of skin laxity and your expectations from the surgery. This operation normally takes around 2 hours to complete. The incision is stitched with dissolvable stitches and surgical tapes are applied as well as bandages which are placed around the thighs to increase compression.
What are some of the main aesthetic considerations?
Two key considerations are symmetry and scarring.
- Surgical experience and careful planning are required to produce a symmetrical result. It is common to see patients who have had unequal amounts of skin and fat removed with abnormally shaped thighs of unequal size. There are cases where patients have required to have skin put back using skin grafts.
- A skilled doctor can minimize scarring and place them expertly in locations where they are not visible to the eye. Scars take some months to settle in, but your doctor will try and confine the scarring to the buttock fold or groin
Who is suitable for Thigh Lift?
Thigh Lift surgery is a very personal procedure and should only be done if you feel strongly that you will benefit from either the skin or fat reduction and contouring properties of a Thigh Lift
You may be a right candidate for thigh lift surgery if:
- You are in good mental and physical medical health
- You’ve reached your ideal body weight
- You have a positive outlook and realistic expectations of what can be achieved through surgery
- You are seeking to remove excess skin in your thighs
- You are seeking to remove excess fat deposits and cellulite in your thighs
- You are seeking to improve the shape and contours of your thighs
- You are looking for long long-term results
What are the side effects and risks?
Thigh Lift surgery is a safe procedure but it is normal to experience:
- bruising and swelling
- temporary numbness
- a small amount of scarring
Like all surgical procedures, thigh lift surgery carries some risk and it is possible that you might experience:
- Bleeding or Infection
- Poor healing of incisions and scarring
- a collection of blood underneath the skin (hematoma)
- death of fat tissue or embolism
Disclaimer: The information provided herein is for patient general knowledge only and should not be used during any medical emergency, diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Duplication for personal and commercial use must be authorized in writing by Surjen.com.