What are Tonsils?
The Tonsil are a pair of soft tissues located at the end of your throat that helps to fight infections but the removal of the tonsils will not increase the chances of an infection. Tonsils differ in size from person to person and the sizes often changes in response to infection. The problem is that sometimes germs like to hang in the tonsils where they cause infections. So instead of fighting infections, they themselves get infected and this is referred to as "Tonsillitis" While this infection of the tonsils is far more common in children, it can turn into a problem for any age group.
What Causes Tonsillitis?
Cultivating good hygiene practices can help reduce the likelyhood of getting tonsils. Some of the habits which are advisable to adopt in this regard includes;
1. Regularly washing your hands after contact with surfaces and after using restrooms
2. Avoid dipping dirty fingers into your mouth or nose
3. Avoid sharing eating utensils
4. Do not Kiss an affected individual or someone whose health status you are unsure of
5. Maintain a good oral hygiene and replace your toothbrushes frequently
6. Do not deep your hands or foreign objects into your throat: there is a likely hood of introducing or dislodging micro-organisms.
7. Avoid close contact and inhalation around someone who is sick
8. Use hand sanitizers as often as possible
9. Cover your tooth brushes neatly and carefully place in clean containers after each use
What is the cost of Tonsil Surgery?
This is usually determined by the following factors;
1. Choice and location of the hospital
2. Choice of surgeon
3. Severity of tonsillitis
4. Method of removal
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What surgery is best for tonsillitis?
Tonsillectomy is the best surgery to permanently cure recurrent tonsil infections.
2. Is tonsil surgery a major surgery?
Some Hospitals consider it a major surgery while others consider it a minor surgery and it also largely determined by the type of surgery. But it is infact a minor surgery in children.
3. How many hours is tonsil surgery?
This varies according to the Surgeon but it is usually completed under an hour.
4. What is tonsil stones?
These are hardened whitish-yellowish calcified lumps or stone like materials that can be found in the tonsils. They are usually formed by bacteria mixed with debrisn in the mouth. They vary in sizes and usually have a pungent smell.
5. What are tonsillitis?
These are another name for tonsil stones found at the back of your throat (tonsils)
6. Why do i have bad breath?
Medically referred to as halitosis, there are a host of reasons for bad breath which may include tonsilitis due to the infection of the mucus membrane s of the tonsils of the mouth causing them to produce a foul stench.
The information provided herein is for patient general knowledge only and should not be used during any medical emergency, diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Duplication for personal and commercial use must be authorized in writing by Surjen.com.